Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Review of Jackson Diner in Jackson, NJ

On Tuesday, October 19th Mo' Money and I visited The Jackson Diner in where else but Jackson, NJ.



I went with my usual breakfast for dinner of french toast and eggs. Mo' decided to be a little more adventurous (while also risking his life) and ordered a seafood platter. Diners and seafood can be a dangerous combination.





And here is our review:

Food Quality: 4 Fonzies.
No complaints from me. Everything tasted great. Eggs were cooked well and the french toast were light and fluffy. Plenty of syrup and powdered sugar to make it a joyous occasion.



Mo’ sez: 5 Fonzies.
I
nitially, I was liking Johnny’s “breakfast-for-dinner” idea, and was thinking of a big stack of fluffy buttermilk pancakes with syrup. Then I saw the list of specials for the evening. It was Italian night. (I don’t know what it is about Tuesdays and Italian night, but just like at the OB , Tuesdays at Jackson Diner feature food with a root in the boot.) Usually I’m hesitant to order seafood at a diner, but since my mussel feast at the OB turned out very well a while back, I figured I’d give it a shot here too. I don’t know exactly what caused the about-face from pancakes to Seafood Fra Diavolo, but I was thankful for it. This dish was outstanding. The clams, mussels, calamari, scallops, and shrimp all tasted fresh, the linguini was cooked perfectly, the spicy marinara sauce was very good in taste and consistency for a non-Italian restaurant, the portion was big, and the $16.99 price tag was very easy to swallow. (In a nice Italian joint, this dish would easily be 25 bucks or more.) And at Jackson Diner it included soup or salad and a selection from a small list of simple desserts. That’s definitely mo’ fo’ yo’ money. I decided to spend a few extra bucks and chose from the main menu for my dessert. I enjoyed an out-of-this-world in any decade slice of New York cheesecake with strawberries.





Staff: 2 Fonzies. We were first seated in a strange middle section of the restaurant. I felt a little exposed and also preferred a booth to get that authentic diner feel. The first waitress seemed a little offended when we asked to move as if it was personal. No, it wasn't.

The only way I can describe our next waitress is bipolar. She was annoyed when Mo' took a little time to order. She was extremely rushed with everything. It was hard to relax. Then she would turn around and call me "hun" and refill my coffee before I would think of it which I always appreciate. Her attitude improved later on in the meal but there were a few rough moments.

Mo’ sez: 2.5 Fonzies.
We sat down at a small-ish table for 2, but then decided we’d prefer more room (I knew Johnny was psyched for a “breakfast-for-dinner” feast, which would undoubtedly mean multiple plates of food.). So we asked our waitress for a switch to a larger table. She actually seemed a little annoyed to be handing us over to a different waitress. OK, no big deal. Then, our waitress at the new table turned out to be Miss Split Personality. On her first visit, she actually huffed when I wasn’t ready to order. On her second visit, she took our order but gave us a big smile. Then, when Johnny asked for a refill on his cup o’ joe, she huffed again (I thought I might have even heard a slight grunt). But when she brought the coffee over for the refill, we got another big grin and she called Johnny “sweetie.” On this one I’ll have to spilt my Fonzies, just like the waitress’ personality.

Restrooms: 3 Fonzies. I've seen some horrendous diner bathrooms in the past but not the case at The Jackson Diner. Nothing spectacular and a little messy but completely functional.

Mo’ sez: 4 Fonzies. Easy to find, clean and spacious men’s room. Nothing fancy, but hey, it’s a diner bathroom, not The Olive Garden. No complaints here.



Music / Noise Level: 4 Fonzies. Decent tunes in the background. Wasn't too loud to interrupt our conversation. No table side jukebox which I haven't seen in a good while. Should be a staple at every diner.

Mo’ sez: 5 Fonzies.
When we first sat down, the place was pretty empty.The overhead speakers played a great mix of rock-n-roll oldies at just the right volume. As the joint got more crowded, the noise level obviously increased, but the oldies still sounded good, and I still had no problem hearing Johnny telling me how much he LOVES having breakfast for dinner.

Overall Presentation: 4 Fonzies. I like the whole 50's nostalgia motif they have going. Brings you back to another time and place. If only it weren't located in a strip mall...



Mo’ sez: 4 Fonzies.
Jackson Diner’s motto is “Take a step back in time” and they mean it! As you walk through the door, try to forget the fact that you’re in a strip mall. If you can do that, you’ll feel like you’re entering a 1950’s malt shop. (Well, OK, you’ll also have to ignore the three flat screen TV’s on the walls too, but otherwise, the place looks pretty authentic.) From the designs on the booths and tables, to the memorabilia on display, to the neon signs, to the huge mural on the far wall; if you want to feel 1950s-ish, this is the place. While the design of the menu plays to the 50’s theme, the offerings are still typical modern Jersey diner fare, including wraps, paninis, seafood platters, and senior specials. Plenty of old-fashioned desserts are also featured, including sundaes, shakes, malts, floats, ice cream sodas, and even a NY style egg cream. Overall, if it wasn’t for the strip mall and the flat screens, (and a waitress with a possible personality disorder) Jackson Diner would get all 5 Fonzies from me. (And how about adding car hop service with waitresses on roller skates? Ok, maybe that’s too much to ask.)




This concludes our review of The Jackson Diner.

No comments:

Post a Comment